Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Sorry (Tired of Being)

Sorry about being such a downer for the past few sessions, guys.

Why am I addressing you like I would address a shrink or personal counselor?

Anyways, I guess I should stay on my meds ;-)

But seriously, I'm totally in love with this song by Ringside. They actually came out with an album last April (and I kinda knew about them, but not too much). But I saw the video for their single "Tired of Being Sorry" the other day on VH1. (And yes, there is boxing in the video, but that is not why they called themselves Ringside. Check out VH1.com and put in "Ringside" in the search box to see the video).

The video is OK, with a little story about the inner conflicts a man goes through his head on his wedding day. What made it more quaint is that it was directed by Joaquin Phoenix (yes, that Joaquin Phoenix!). What's funny is that the lead singer of Ringside, Scott Thomas, has a slight resemblance to Joaquin (in the video, his lip synching is even slightly off, just like Joaquin's lip synching in his upcoming Johnny Cash movie Walk the Line.) And since Scott is friends with a lot of Hollywood celebrities (even ones slipping off the "A"-List), there are a plethora of cameos in the video, from Dermot Mulroney to Casey Afflek.

But the song is the spotlight for me. He delivers it in this scratchy, pained voice with a slight touch of melancholy. The guitar and the strings that appear throughout the song are haunting. The lyrics are all about redemption to a lost lover (or an about to be lost lover). It's heartbreaking. I have to make sure to hide all the razorblades when I'm listening.

Speaking of videos, I'm a little disappointed by Madonna's latest video for "Hung Up." It wasn't what I was expecting. It was obviously Saturday Night Fever inspired (as Madonna is in this 70s vibe lately). But it also mixes in some crunking. The beginning of the video is a little schitzophrenic, with Madonna warming of for a Saturday Night Fever danceathon intermixed by what looks like rejected scenes from the movie Rize. Wait, didn't David LaChappelle direct that movie, and then was later let go from directing duties on "Hung Up"?

Anyways, the video doesn't hit it's stride until over half way through (after the bridge in the song), when the club scene starts. I love this part. It's kinda dark and greasy, but retro 70s cool at the same time. Too bad more of the video wasn't like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz