Monday, August 28, 2006

Moog Pop Absurdity!!!

Effervescent!I just got back from Jean-Jacques Perrey's first ever live performance in the United States at The Triple Door, assisted by the talented and lovely Dana Countryman (and I'm not just saying that because I work with him!).

I have been awaiting this pairing for FOREVER! Dana loves to name-drop Jean-Jacques every once in a while at work (and reliving the nightmares that he had coming back from France the last time around). I always knew Dana fiddled around with music (and the crazier, the better, judging by the eclectic mix of things on his website), and was working on a CD with Jean-Jacques (I viewed a few first drafts of the zany album cover), but me being the youngin' that I am, I didn't really have a clue to who Jean-Jacques was (I just knew that he put out a lot of stuff in the 60's and 70's), and that he was French. So to finally see him and to listen to the type of music he makes was a natural curiosity of mine.

Well let me say, the music is so quirky. The only way to really describe it is with the words "bubbly" and "cute". With one foot firmly planted in the electronic psychedelia of the 60's (think Austin Powers), with a splash of the whirly good-times music of a Disney Main Street Electrical Parade, and enough electronic bleeps and whistles to keep it interesting without being annoying, it is really hard not to smile or bop along when listening to what was coming out of those analog samplers and keyboards that was on stage. My sister and I don't usually listen to this kind of music (me, being a Pop/Dance fan with Madonna, Kylie, and Bjork under my belt, and my sister with alt-rock singer/songwriters like Pete Yorn and John Mayer on heavy rotation), we still couldn't help but be overwhelmed by how happy everything was.

And it only makes sense. Jean-Jacques may be 77 years old, but his spirit which clearly shined through the iridescent white lab coat he had on is clearly still stuck in his joyful youth. On stage, he seemed like the doughy, lovable grandpa that everyone wishes they had. And Dana was a great foil, as the doofy (in a good way) sidekick. The show stealer was though, the little stuffed elephant (I have to ask Dana for the name of the elephant again), that was brought onstage by Jean-Jacques' daughter during a touching moment. It put into perspective the "romantic" song that Jean-Jeacques played earlier (complete with theramin sampling!) that was dedicated to his daughter, Patricia.

All in all, it was a feel good night, and a fun gig. You can still catch their show down in San Francisco and Hollywood later in the week. And if you can't go, but are still curious to their sound, click on the album cover above, and trek through Dana's website and you'll find some samples from the album, along with a visual collection of some of the craziest album covers of the last half-century.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz