Thursday, May 18, 2006

Its good...Isn't it great...Isn't it swell...

Goodnight GracieYes, I did just see Chicago: the Musical again for like the fourth time, but enough about that.

My extended t.v. family of eight years, Will & Grace (& Jack & Karen), has played their final episode. It was a touching episode, and unlike a few other series finales of years past (most notably Seinfeld), did seem to bring closure and wrap up loose ends well.

By the way, there are SPOILERS ahead for those of you who haven't seen it yet, though you will get your chance to when the DVD of the series finale is released Tuesday, the 30th.

Grace's dream sequence in the beginning was excellent. It was funny seeing the worst case scenario happen to Will and Grace, and seeing what happens to Jack (funny how Kevin Bacon doesn't age), and Karen (you knew that the Rosario thing was going to eventually happen. She doesn't really make a bad biker dyke does she?).

It was a little contrived that Will's and Grace's children happen to meet in the dorms, and end up getting married to each other, but in the grand scheme of things, at least they didn't all end up in jail... I'm glad that everyone was able to get together with those that they loved (Will with Vince, Grace with Leo, and Jack and Karen) and that they realize that they will always have eachother. If only all friendships could be like that.

I think the best part of the whole thing is Jack and Karen's duet of Nat King Cole's "Unforgettable". That got me all choked up, and made me think, "yes, this is ending, but it's been a wonderful ride."

I still can't believe that I was only 19 and out of high school and starting at the UW when the show started, all those eons ago. I know things must eventually end, and that we must all go on, but there is always that moment when you think everything in your life is lined up perfectly; when you are still young enough to have youthful ideals and hopes and dreams, yet old enough to make wise decisions and to have a clear vision of how you are going to get there. And you wish time could stand still at this magical crossroads forever.

That's what Will & Grace embodied for me. All the characters grew with me as I aged those short eight years, and in each character, I saw a reflection of parts of myself. I think at one point, I actually was the embodiment of each of the characters (though my friends will probably say that there is a snowball's chance in Hell of me ever drinking as much as Karen).

Anyway, I want to thank the entire cast and crew, and everyone involved with the production of Will & Grace for the magical journey that they have taken us. As my sister and I said, this was like our church. We watched it religiously, only missing a first airing here or there. But now the congregation has disbanded, and it's time to move on, but we will always cherish the memories in our minds, hearts, and souls.

Goodnight Gracie...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz