Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Will "Will & Grace" Gracefully bid adieu?


I can't believe it!

Will & Grace is ending after eight seasons of giving my sister and me not only years of hilarious entertainment, but also (and most important), witty one liners that we can slam each other with.

Will, Grace, Jack and Karen have been a staple of our regular T.V. watching habits for so long, that I don't know what we will do with all our newly found freetime on Thursday nights. I guess we could probably take a cooking class together or something, because we sure won't actually be watching T.V. anymore. Really! Will & Grace was basically the last regular series (dramatic or comedy) that we watch together. Now, except for Family Guy and American Dad, all we have left to watch on T.V. is the Food Network and HGTV.

It just goes to show you that there really isn't any quality television on network T.V. anymore. Everything is either crap, or a contest reality show (and my sister and I never really got into any of those shows except for Project Runway).

Anyway, I will cherish my time that I have spent with you, even through all the little minute changes that compromised the richness of the show last seen in season three (over the years, Will has gotten a little too queenie, Grace a little too charactertured, Karen a little too over the top, and too many guest stars to even remember. Only Jack has stayed faithful to the original characterization.) Plotlines started repeating (why did both Will's father and Karen's husband need mistresses? And why did they keep giving Grace a second bad assistant when she had Karen?), the same arguments kept cropping up, and Jack never really seemed to grow as a character through his plotlines (everyone else keeps going through Earth shattering events for themselves, but Jack never seemed to have any). But through all the faults, I still love the show.

Now the officially released DVDs, on the other hand, I will never forgive. Many episodes have been butchered (actually, I found out that the episodes on the DVDs are more like the syndicated versions, instead of the first run versions on NBC). Most notable are the "Supersized" episodes (the episodes that ran 40 minutes on NBC, instead of the usual 30). I can't even watch the episode "Ben, Her? (Parts 1 & 2)" because so much has been altered. And then the DVD come with flimsy extras, and the video quality all seem a little washed out. Why couldn't the Will & Grace DVDs come with the same lavishness that the Friends and Seinfeld DVDs are getting? They have small scenes put back that were not in the network airing, commentary by the producers, directors, and actors, and many other extras, including outtakes. Oh well, at least I have all my video tape recordings of the original airings (except for episode 8.08, "Swish Out of Water", and the two Eastcoast broadcasts of the live episodes, "Alive and Schticking (8.01)" and "Bathroom Humor (8.11)". If anyone can help me out by getting these episodes, it would be much appreciated!)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whyyyy...oh whyyyyy????

:****(

2:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz