Friday, August 12, 2005

"Lucky there's the...American Dad!"

You know, I was all psyched about the season 4 episodes of Family Guy. I was one of those late converters, because I never saw the original run episodes of Family Guy on "Fox," but I heard about it after a friend of mine was talking about seeing the syndicated versions of "Cartoon Network's Adult Swim," and he just raved about it! He thought it was nearly the greatest thing since sliced bread, with thier twisted un-PC humor and pop culture references ("Oh yeah!" - Kool-Aid Man).

So, since I occasionally watched "Adult Swim" for reruns of Futurama, I decided to stick around and watch Family Guy which was on right afterward. To be honest, I don't even remember the episode that I lost my Family Guy virginity to, but I knew from then on, I was hooked. I ended watching three or for more episodes over consecutive nights, and then I went all out and bought both the season box sets on DVD off of e-Bay. The best decision I ever made!

Anyway, so after a while, I heard that they were bringing back the show for a fourth season on "Fox," and I was as elated as can be. How often do networks bring back a show from cancellation, with all of the original creative team and cast in tow? Unfortunately, I also had my doubts that after so much time off, the show would have lost some of it's creative luster.

Unfortunately, I was right. I have recorded and watched every single new episode except for two of them, and though they still are zanily inane, for some strange reason, the episodes aren't quite as memorable as ones from the first three seasons. I can remember exactly when Brian, the family dog, got addicted to cocaine, but I could barely remember the plotline to the first episode of season 4. Something to do with Mel Gibson's The Passion of Christ.

But what I do remember is the new show by Seth McFarland and company that plays right after Family Guy. I am now in LOVE with American Dad. It takes many of the best elements of Family Guy, and places a political spin on them. It's just absurd what Stan, the ultra right-wing dad that works for the CIA, will do. And I love Rodger, the alien who channels Paul Lynde the Center square. I take after Rodger a lot. Many times, I will start talking, and I kinda realize that I talk a lot like Rodger. I love witty and sarcastic characters (I guess that's why Chandler was my favorite Friend). I'd like to think that I'm that good with sarcasm and wit when I talk, but I know I'm still not the best.

I am thrilled to hear that American Dad has been picked up for a full seaon by "Fox." I can wait to see the rest of the episodes that they have for this season (I think they only have a 13 episode half season like Family Guy did for thier first season). It's a fun way for me to let my "prez" G.W. Bush fustrations out in a healthy manner (as letting them out in an unhealthy manner will get you under surveliance by government officials. I still can't believe that the CIA were trying to hunt down artists who had an art exhibit that didn't portray Bush too well. It's getting kinda "Orwellian" over here in America!).

I tell you, when I get off of work on Sunday nights at 7:30, I rush home to make sure I catch these two shows! Make sure you do too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz