Thursday, July 06, 2006

I'm bringing PsychoBack

Well, upcoming music time...

Seems like September is going to be a hot month for new music releases. It also seems that having a space in between the words in song and album titles is soooo passé.

On September 12, Justin Timberlake is finally releasing his sophomore follow up album, FutureSex/LoveSounds. His new single, "SexyBack" is going to hit the radio waves tomorrow (as we speak). I gotta say that there are a lot of songs out there that at first listen, I absolutely HATE! But with further listening, the song grows on me (especially if it at least has a good beat), and I end up "hating the haters" so to speak. This has happened to me with the Black Eyed Peas insipid "My Humps," and Gwen Stefani's "Whatcha Waitin' For," but this phenomenon has gone as far back as Destiny's Child's song "Jumpin' Jumpin'," because I thought they were never going to top "Say My Name." Sigh...

Anyway, the song has a really cool beat to it, supplied by none other than Timbaland (who always has a habit of dropping some cool, experimental beats and sounds on us, whether it's through his old stand-by, Missy Elliott, or his newer protege's, like Nelly Furtado). The song sounds to make for a promising second album by the former boy band bopper, though it doesn't erase the thoughts of him wanting to become black.

Patrick Bateman, I presumeHowever, he does look kinda psycho killer preppy in the single cover. I think I actually have seen this picture before, on Bret Easton Ellis' book, American Psycho. Interesting choice for young JT.

Filthy and GorgeousIn other sophomore album news, I am happy to hear that the Scissor Sisters has a new album title and release date set. Ta-Dah! will hit American shores on September 26 (it "comes out" (so to speak) about a week earlier in Europe). I've been drooling with anticipation over some new Scissor Sisters material, as I have worn out their last album to the nub. (It's true, just ask my sister). I can't wait to hear the new single, "I Don't Feel Like Dancin'," which is a duet with one of their more obvious influences, Elton John. Too bad that they aren't releasing this single until September 4th; so while we have the whole Summer dancing with Justin's "SexyBack," I still have a two month wait to see what glammed it's way to the disco dancefloor with the Scissor Sisters. Too bad that they are not touring into Seattle anytime soon, as I hear that they have been premiering many of their new songs at their shows. I don't see why they can't come here. The lead singer, Jake Shears, has a little history in this area (word has it that before the band formed, he was a "Go-Go" dancer at a few of the clubs around town).

Oh, and don't think that the Scissor Sisters would get off without me tying in the title of this post to them. Rumor has it that one of the songs on the new album is called "HairBaby," which another site writes is, "the first song about tumors with unborn fetuses in them." Sounds gross, but it's actually true! Teratomas are tumor like clusters, usually found near germ cells (undifferentiated cells that can turn into any cell in the body, but usually happens while we are just a little mass of them in utero, or in future baby production sites, like ovaries and testicles!) that can grow hair, teeth, bones and nails. This was most recently referenced in pop culture by Grace Adler (in Will & Grace) being freaked out by a Discovery Channel show where there was a tumor with "mini teeth, and mini hair, and when they poked it, it went 'OW!'" God, I love Will & Grace. (By the way, this was in reference to Grace also finding out that her current boyfriend has six toes on one foot).

Anyway, at least I have something to look forward to in the upcoming months. Darn! Can't jump in front of that bus just yet!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Enter your Email


Powered by FeedBlitz